Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I must confess....

I must confess.  It's been more than a month since my last blog post.....

I must admit.  I had really high expectations of this blog.  I anticipated writing a series of quirky and amusing vignettes about life on our farm, I would amass hundreds of followers that would check my blog daily to see what was new, and hopefully get a book deal out of it.  But what happened?  John Lennon once said, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."  That's what happened.

It's not that nothing happens worth writing about.  Quite the contrary.  New and exciting things happen everyday around here at Five Roosters Farm.  I think of something to write about everyday, but the few blogs I subscribe to clog my inbox and I find very little time to actually read what others are into let alone write about what I'm into.   So in fact many of the blogs posts that come in my inbox actually go straight to the trash.  Lack of interest?  No, lack of time is more like it.  I think what I am most afraid of is that whatever I might post will fly into the inbox of the handful of followers and discover the same fate as those wonderfully articulate and witty blog posts that arrive in my email.

So, I digress.  I will just brainstorm a list of developments that have happened here at Five Roosters Farm in the last month:

  • canning venison for the first time
  • experimenting with pumpkin recipes
  • baking bread
  • attended a dry canning class (awesome!)
  • losing our pet turkey, as faithful as a dog and as sweet as a kitten, to a hawk attack
  • building a new closet out of reclaimed barn wood
  • installing a new hot water heater, a down-payment on solar (in efforts to stave off the 17% rate hikes from our power company)
  • making homemade apple sauce
  • splitting wood
  • cleaning the chimneys
  • fall garden 
  • perusing the local estate auctions for cool, old stuff we can reuse
  • harvesting beans, potatoes and the last of the summer tomatoes
  • starting in the greenhouse
  • researching heritage pigs
  •  and of course all of the crafts.
    • teaching a Christmas card class at the library
    • making jewelry our of vintage buttons discovered at the junk shop
    • the girls making doll clothes from scraps
    • upcycled fabric flowers
Seriously, it's clear that tons goes on around here.  It's finding the time to blog about it is the trouble.  I recently went on a scrapbook retreat (a graduation gift from my parents for finishing my masters in library science) where all I do was eat, sleep and play with paper.  I would love to get some of our stories down on paper (or flashdrive, cd-rom, cloud, what-have-you) but I think I would need to set aside a week or two to do so.

In the mean time, I will try to be a bit more diligent in my blogging.  One thing to celebrate is that our Five Roosters Farm facebook page has grown to 135 fans!  

No comments:

Post a Comment